Friday, August 03, 2007

Recipe #5: Bulgur Salad


I may have found my favorite summer salad yet. Taste is right up there, but what makes it the greatest is that there's no cooking involved. I haven't been making my usual favorite salads, because even cooking barley or quinoa is no fun when the house is already 30 degrees. This is a must try salad...

1/2 cup bulgur
3/4 cup diced cucumber
3/4 cup diced tomatoes
2/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
1/3 cup chopped green onions
2 T fresh lemon juice
2 T olive oil

So, I'm giving the recipe as I read it, but I should say that although I think it would be better with the fresh herbs, I just used dried basil and parsley and skipped the mint. I also added more lemon juice and oil than called for.

Place bulgur in large bowl. Cover with 1 inch water and soak for 1 hour. Drain off excess water. Add rest of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper. Wait 10 minutes before serving.

-Original recipe from The Enlightened Eater's Whole Foods Guide. The book gives a description of bulgur - it's made from whole wheat berries that have been steamed, hulled and then cracked. (In case you were curious.)

Very fun that we now have our own cucumbers to make this with. We also enjoyed our fresh, just picked corn-on-the-cob with this salad for lunch. If only my herb garden had come through, this salad would be really delicious. I even enjoyed the salad for supper - this time in a pita with cheese and mashed lemon sardines.

I've really enjoyed reading some food blogs lately. I've been inspired to cook more and feel like starting a blog just for that purpose. But I would never do as good as a job as some people do, so I think I'll just enjoy theirs. I came across a vegetarian one that gives you a week's menu and the grocery list to go with it. Maybe I'll get around to putting up links to some of my favorites soon.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: