Monday, April 14, 2008

What we've been thinking about...



Kellen's been thinking about big trucks these days. These pics are from last week when there was a little work being done on our street. He was in awe. This week they've started working where the new co-op is going up. He asks everyday if we can go look at the big trucks. I saw the workers laughing at us today while I tried to convince him it was time to go, which was making him very mad. Yeah, they will soon know he is their biggest fan.

I have been thinking a lot about balance since Lanelle has arrived, and I suppose often before that to. I'd love to feel like I had a perfectly balanced life. I think that would require double the hours in a day for any of us to feel like we could acheive a balance. I liked an article in Today's Parent called Balance Backlash. I think a great quote was "If your idea of balance is doing as much as you can in a day, then you will never experience the extraordinary moments in your everyday life." It was suggesting that you have to realize that your life isn't going to miraculously going to change, but find a way to live differently to feel joy today. The whole article got me thinking that I won't someday achieve a perfect balanced life if I get organized enough so that I can have a perfectly clean house, organized files, healthy meals planned all ahead of time and always on the table on time, quality time with kids, work outside the home, devotion/Bible reading/prayer time and exercise everday (and not to forget we all need some quality "me time" or self care too) - all without feeling stress. It would never happen and I'd go crazy trying to achieve it.

Then John McMillan spoke at Auntie Vi's funeral and mentioned the idea that has stuck in my head - balance vs. harmony. Balance means there are opposing forces. Harmony is defined as "a pleasing combination of elements in a whole." Pleasing would indicate something that is not stressful. The idea of achieving balance is stressful to me - too many opposing forces and not enough time. I'd like to have a "harmonious life". Whatever exactly that would look like. I didn't say my thoughts would have any great conclusions. Just some themes in my life that seem to be popping up lately and making me think. I'd like to let go of the idea of balance and find harmony.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Maxine said...

Amen! Balance has been a little tricky for us sometimes, too. There are too many unpredictables if you think of the tightrope walkers. I also prefer the picture of harmony as calmness. I just picture it as a wider platform to stand on. I confess. I am your blogstalker! Keep it up :-)

Anonymous said...

I know that has all been rolling around in your head for a little while....I was waiting for this! Well written and thought-provoking.
I love thinking of Kellen on the street watching construction all day....maybe you should set up a tent and camp out there for a few days!!
Jenn

Eric said...

Funny, at Mike and Sheena's wedding one of her uncles gave a toast about this idea of a marriage being about harmony, plucking each of the strings of the harp individually making and together the different parts make a beautiful song. The same idea of harmony ...

My dad (the MC) then got up and said that he understands the harp analogy very well because his wife has been harping at him for a while now.

Anonymous said...

JB - I think you should write a book. I think many women face these very problems but have no idea how to say them nor write them. You have a gift! Love you - sarah c

Davis Family said...

Hey - I tagged you - see my blog for more info.