Friday, January 05, 2007

Recipe #?: Gingerbread Date Cookies

I forgot about my plan to post good recipes. But, I remembered when I found this great one. I used it for a healthy Xmas bake exchange and loved it. It was interesting to see what people decide was "healthy". Items were one of the following: low calorie, high protein, organic ingredients, low sugar, or low fat. Very interesting to me that each choice was different. I chose a low fat recipe (and would have made it high fiber if I had time to experiment). What do you look for when you are trying to pick healthy food?


Gingerbread Date Cookies
1 cup pitted dates, chopped
1/4 cup boiling water
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
2 Tbsp molasses
2 Tbsp margarine, melted

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Soak chopped dates in the boiling water for 15 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and soda, ginger cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
4. Add egg, brown sugar, molasses, and margarine to date and water mixture. Mix well.
5. Pour date mixture into bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until combined.
6. Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
7. Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place on greased cookie sheets.
8. Bake 8 minutes.

No comments: