Friday, February 17, 2006

Sooner...or later

Your baby's first cry is the one you hear in the delivery room, the triumphant, tension-shattering sound that says, "I'm here, I'm breathing, I'm alive!"

I found this quote in a baby book that Andrea gave me for my birthday. I love it, but that moment has felt so far away if not impossible. Last night I never slept. I had contractions and around 2 they settled into a pretty regular 3-5 minutes apart, 30-50 seconds, but they weren't too intense. Since we had learned that when they are 3-5 minutes apart you should go to the hospital, at 4:30 a.m. we headed for Regina. Since it was the coldest night of the year, we didn't want to run the risk of a side of the road delivery. Well, I guess we should have waited. By about 8:00 a.m. we were told to come back to the hospital when they were stronger and they said I was only 1 cm dilated. So, Jenn, Ian and I headed to Humpty's for breakfast. I thought they would continue to get stronger, but they got less infrequent throughout the day. So at 3 p.m, we made the decision to all go home. It's 7:30 p.m. now and I have had some good sleep. I don't know what's in store for us tonight. It's easy to be frustrated. I felt bad that Jenn had got up in the middle of the night, met us at the hospital, and then I had to say "sorry." Not that she cared, she was glad we had gone, and said she knew first babies could take awhile. I try to remember that this is better than where I was yesterday, with no hope that the baby would come this weekend. And, while we were at the hospital I heard that triumphant cry come from another room. How amazing to think that we will soon here our baby's first cry.

No comments: