Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Recipe: Baji Dhal

I've got a new fast supper favorite - East Indian Spinach and Lentils. Thought I'd share, in case you are looking for something new. It's from Extending the Table by Joetta Handrich Schlabach - thanks so much Kathy for letting me borrow! I am loving it. Don't judge it by its appearance. When I set this on the table, Kellen announced he was not going to eat it. I thought we might have a fight, but he took his required bite. There was a surprised look on his face, "mmm, this is really good Mom!" He polished off his entire bowl!

Here is my slightly altered version:

In a large pan, heat oil and cook 1 large chopped onion. Add and cook for about 30 sec. 4 minced garlic cloves, 2 T chopped ginger root. Stir in 2 tsp whole cumin seed, 2 tsp curry powder, 1 tsp salt. Add 1.5 cups red lentils, 4 cups chicken broth (or use water as the original recipe called for), 2 large diced potatoes, and several large handfuls of spinach. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender.

2 comments:

Monica said...

Do you add dry lentils, or precooked? I'd like to try this!

Janet said...

the red lentils are split, so you just add them dry. They cook super fast and have a very mild flavor.