Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A heart lesson.

Ian was annoying me.  Kind of.  Nothing serious.  But, the kids were whinning, I was trying to get the tortillas rolled out and in the pan. Lunch was a little late. Instead of helping, he had to stand there and talk about, for no apparant reason, some deals he got on some hunting clothes in the last while.  I just wasn't into it.  I thought it was pretty clear.  But, then this is Ian I am talking about.  And, just when I was going to say something, I saw in front of me a heart.  yep, that tortilla had suddenly turned into a heart.  I tried rolling it the other way.  I flipped it over and tried again.  Shoot, that heart shape wouldn't disappear.  I think the heart shape became even more perfectly defined as I light heartedly scowled at it and willed it to go away.  Okay, I will just love.  Frustration disappeared.  Annoyance melted away.  I chose not to share my annoyance with him (although some day he will read this.  Sorry, honey.  But some life lessons should just be shared.  And remembered.)  When we remember love, when we focus on it, there's no room in our hearts for ugly frustruations or thoughts, is there?

oh, and the tortillas.  The Best Ever. 
Mix together: 4 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp baking powder.  Add 2 Tbsp lard (yes, I used lard) and crumble it all up with your fingers. Pour in 1 cup water and mix.  Will probably need to add up to another 1/2 cup more to get a nice dough.  Roll out into about 15 (?) circles.  Bake in a dry pan on medium heat for about 30 seconds.  It will begin to bubble.  Flip and finish the other side for 30 seconds.

I will never buy tortillas again.  (Well, I won't want to anyhow, but I suppose I might find myself in a hurry at some point...)

No comments: